Saturday, May 21, 2011

Columbus, OH

I have had the great fortune over the past two days to sample some fine, craft brewed beers. Currently on a trip to Columbus, Ohio for the Rock on the Range Concert, I have had meals at two different local breweries. Last night for dinner, my Secretary of Taste and I visited Elevator Brewing Company, and the today for lunch Barley's Smokehouse and Brewpub.

Dinner last night was unbelievable, She had the 14oz New York Strip and a pint of Dirty Dick's Nut Brown Ale, their "American adaption of a Northern English brown style." and I took on the Surf and Turf Rock (check out the image on the menu) They brought me basically a raw beef tenderloin, 3 giant scallops, and 3 jumbo shrimp, also uncooked. All this was brought out on a large plank of wood with a 450 degree Finnish Tulikivi firestone positioned on it for me to use to cook the meat as I saw fit. Cutting one bite at a time, I placed it on the stone and cooked it to my liking. I know it sounds like work, and it did keep me busy, but it was not only fun but delicious. Now to the good part, I washed it all down with a "powerful dark lager" called Procrastinator Doppelbock. The nice roasted flavors complemented the beef and sauces nicely, although a lighter selection would have been a little better to complement the seafood. We also enjoyed a flight of samples - the Mogabi, a drier, crisper Blue Moon type ale, the Dark Horse, a 2007 Bronze medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival, and the current seasonal, the Black Pale Ale, a unique mix of what a stout looks like and initially tastes like, followed by the finish of a hoppy pale ale.

With the atmosphere of an uber modern 1950's diner and delicious food and beer, the Everything Brewed rating of the entire experience comes in at a full 5 out of 5 pints. If you are ever in Columbus and have some money to spend, go for it.

As for lunch today, Barley's Smokehouse and Brewpub offered us many local as well as guest draft selections. I had the Scottish ale and the Secretary tried the British Pale Ale. I paired mine with a slow smoked beef brisket sandwich, and she had the BBQ quesadilla. The Scottish was caramel in color and taste, standing up nicely to the brisket with a sweet finish. The British PA appeared as a Brown Ale and had a certain malty flavor to it, but was a little over balanced by hops for her liking.

Overall the Everything Brewed rating on the experience comes in at 4 out of 5 pints. If you are in Columbus and want a variety of craft beer to pick from, both local and "imported" go here.

I would love to tell you more about it, but it's time to get ready for the show. As always, your comments and questions are welcome. So enjoy your brews, but responsibly and all that stuff.

Cheers,
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment